Why? Because I'm writing to invite you, my trusted fellow-readers and book-loving friends, to be the first to join a social movement that will change the very course of our reading lives and transform our world at the same time. A bold claim, I know, but I have come to see that we can change the world with this simple shift.
When you finish reading a book, take one action toward your personal evolution or for the benefit of the world. Big or small, ten minutes or ten hours, personal or public, one action - any action that feels right - per book.
It's a simple premise, but I suspect you're as convinced as I am that often the most basic, easy-to-execute ideas are the most powerful. Yet so often the tough part isn't the idea, it's the follow-through - the shaping of a new habit-of-mind.
That's why, five months ago, I started this blog to make my commitment public and to track just exactly how this process unfolds. I didn't know that it would work, in fact, but now I'm convinced of its power to leverage my reading life to profoundly transform everything else in my world. This process has been an amazingly powerful ride for me these past few months (you can read about it in my "Story" posts), and I simply can't wait to share its benefits with the world any longer.
That's why I'm creating a social networking hub for readers who want to transform their lives and change the world, one book at a time.
And I need y'all to help me make it great.
All you need to do is to try this simple process for one month, more if you wish (and I'm betting you will because it makes reading even more joyful and life-changing than it already is), using whatever books you already intend to read plus whichever ones you happen upon during our trial period. Then, offer your questions, concerns, suggestions, experiences, and successes as you pursue your one-month action-reading experiment. (I promise this process will also be fun and easy.)
* You'll receive to all ActionReader materials and membership bonuses free for one year, and - if you wish - receive them in advance in exchange for your honest review. That'sYou'll have daily access to me for all the personalized, one-on-one ActionReader coaching you desire (action ideas, follow-up support, book suggestions or lists, etc.) as you move through your first month's action steps.
* fun & easy action challenges with unique prizes,
* book give-aways with a transformative twist,
* networking with authors and readers and non-profits doing good in your neighborhood,
* action booklists for transformation & world change,
* easy action ideas and quick action links,
* plus more features as the site expands...
** You'll get a jump-start on a whole new reading life, one that ups the joy and transformation we all value so much as readers, connects us ever more strongly to each other, and helps us transform our worlds almost effortlessly, with ease.
* Your imprint will shape this movement for the better, at the ground level,
YES! How do you say "yes"?!
Just email me at ActionReaders@gmail.com,
or use the linky below to let me know your URL and I'll be in touch right away...
Then I'll send you the password for our beta site so we can begin to take action individually, correspond about our journeys, and together we will no doubt transform our lives and alter our worlds for the better. The first 10 people who respond will become our beta band of world-changing book lovers!
Questions? (How can I put your mind at ease about joining us?) Email me at ActionReaders@gmail.com
FYI: The Red-Hot Latest Developments
Tomorrow, April 1, expect the first ActionReaders "Changing the World, One Book At A Time" challenge, with some nifty books for prizes. (Hint: It's not only April Fools' Day, but the first day of National Poetry Month.)
On May 1, 2011, the www.ActionReaders.ning.com launches (beyond our beta band) as a hub for book events and reading challenges (think giveaways that change the world); author interviews; easy action ideas and life-changing reading lists; support for your personal action-reading practice; space to share your own triumphs, tips, and tricks for easy but impactful actions; and community conversations & connections with other world-changing readers!
A few months from now, expect a bestselling ActionReaders' book or two to hit the shelves for those who crave pages-in-the-hand. So exciting!!
p.s. Here's a quick recap of WhatSheRead's missson and focus that inspired me to found the ActionReaders movement:
* Every book, I take an action - creative, reflective, connective, inquisitive, communicative, or humanitarian.
* Every book, I blog to share my reviews and support my actions by commiting to them in a public forum (not necessary for all ActionReaders, perhaps, but a useful tool to embed the habit quickly).
* Every month, I create a reflection in the form of a tale for you in which I review what I did and how it's changing my life or saving the world.
And I'm banking my next decade of life on the obvious truth that when it comes to life-changing action, mine plus yours plus the reader next door's will add up to a world transformation from the page to the planet.a contribution that may well change the world in and of itself.