Sunday, March 20, 2011

Words & Music: Maura O'Connell & in just - / spring

A belated nod to the Irish this week...AND HAPPY SPRING, everybody! (check out the bonus e.e. cummings at the bottom)

Introducing the stellar chanteuse, Maura O'Connell.  If you ever get the chance to hear her live, I highly recommend you take it.  She typically sings contemporary tunes, but I've hunted up two traditional Irish ones for you in honor of St. Patrick's Day just past.  The first is from her Wandering Home album, the second on Walls and Windows.


"Down by the Sally Gardens".

It was down by the Sally Gardens, my love and I did meet.
She crossed the Sally Gardens with little snow-white feet.
She bid me take love easy, as the leaves grow on the tree,
But I was young and foolish, and with her did not agree.

In a field down by the river, my love and I did stand
And on my leaning shoulder, she laid her snow-white hand.
She bid me take life easy , as the grass grows on the weirs
But I was young and foolish, and now am full of tears.

Down by the Sally Gardens, my love and I did meet.
She crossed the Sally Gardens with little snow-white feet.
She bid me take love easy, as the leaves grow on the tree,
But I was young and foolish, and with her did not agree.

                                                                    by William Butler Yeats
Plus "Blessing".
The Irish Blessing (traditional)

May the road rise up to meet you.
May the wind be always at your back.
May the sun shine warm upon your fact,
and the rains fall soft upon your fields.
And until we meet again,
May God hold you in the palm of his hand.

For more information about this extraordinary singer, click this link:  Maura O'Connell .


Please support the poets and musicians who - like Maura O'Connell and Nobel Prize winner William Butler Yeats and the inimitable e.e. cummings - change us with their art.

MFB,
L

BONUS: 

in Just-

spring       when the world is mud-

luscious the little

lame balloonman

whistles       far       and wee

and eddieandbill come

running from marbles and

piracies and it's

spring

when the world is puddle-wonderful

the queer

old balloonman whistles

far       and       wee

and bettyandisbel come dancing

 from hop-scotch and jump-rope and

it's

spring

and

     the

             goat-footed

balloonMan       whistles

far

and

wee

    - e.e. cummings

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...