Sunday, January 15, 2012

In My 'Mailbox': 'Classics' for Classes - Which one's your favorite?

My 'mailbox' - my bookbag, actually - is brim-full of potential novels for my tenth grade class, on loan from our school book room.  I've read them all before, of course, but this weekend and next are devoted to re-reading each one as I confirm my choices for next semester. 

Take a look at my potential picks:









Rather a dark lot, no?  But boasting plenty to compel and to question...

Do you recall reading these in high school or thereafter?  Which ones stuck with you and which meandered off into some distant corner of your memory?

And, just out of curiosity, which of these novels would you choose to (re)read yourself?

If you could read only one of these with a group of teens right now, which one of these books would you recommend?

Of course, I harbor my own predilections about which are the most teachable and the best fits for my students' needs, but I'm also quite curious about your views... Who knows, I might just be swayed if you champion one of these venerable tomes!

Now find out what other reader-writers are perusing this week by visiting the hop over at The Story Siren's In My Mailbox!
MFB,
L

9 comments:

Jessica (Peace Love Books) said...

Oooh 1984 is such a good book! I hope you enjoy all you got :)

Here's my IMM!

Nicola said...

I personally loved Brave New World!

In My Mailbox #5

Laura said...

1984 is my absolute favourite- I've read it 3/4 times and it still has a huge impact on me! I also like Brave New World and Fahrenheit 451 though!

LBC said...

How much fun! My two favorite school related reading experiences in my pre-college life were probably Fahrenheit 451 and 1984. They are both seriously due for a reread.

Giselle said...

Someone just recommended 1984 to me today! I really want to pick it up!

Giselle
Xpresso Reads

Alison Can Read said...

I wasn't a fan of 1984 but I don't like dystopias. I really want to read All Quiet on the Western Front.
My IMM

Anonymous said...

Fahrenheit 451 would be my pick -- it is so relevant today. I think 1984 is another good one. I read Brave New World but it didn't really stick with me.

@parridhlantern said...

Fahrenheit & Brave New World, but if you read that you should read its counterpart, Island

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Island_(novel)

Teacher/Learner said...

I read The Lord of the Flies in 10th grade and it was very powerful. I still think about that ending. I read Fahrenheit 451 last year and it was one of my best picks. It definitely makes you appreciate the freedom of reading :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...