Thursday, July 7, 2011

Three-Fer Thursday Strikes Again! (The Creative Habit, The Millionaire Messenger & Beauty Queens Review)

I'll start with two five-star favorites in recent reading, and then leave the let-down for last (and if you're a Libba Bray fan, as I am, prepare for disappointment...).

The Creative Habit: Learn It and Use It for LifeThe Creative Habit: Learn It and Use It for Life by Twyla Tharp

My rating: 5 of 5 stars


If you want to push your own creativity and you enjoy reading about the arts, sports, and business, especially dance, then this book will soon become a treasured favorite for inspiration and action. Tharp is a surprisingly fine writer: clear and energetic, rather like her dances. And she offers many suggestions for practices to get you out of creative ruts and into productivity. Worth owning, at least for me.

To see how others are using The Creative Habit, take a peek at the discussion on ActionReaders.com...


The Millionaire Messenger: Make a Difference and a Fortune Sharing Your AdviceThe Millionaire Messenger: Make a Difference and a Fortune Sharing Your Advice by Brendon Burchard

My rating: 5 of 5 stars


This stellar how-to gives all of us the principles and practices to help others and improve our own lives by sharing our expertise. In fact, in this book, Brendon shares a significant amount of his own multi-million-dollar expertise quite freely, and reading it will no doubt catapult you into action on your own.

I wouldn't have founded http://actionreaders.com/ and begun working in earnest on my own book if I hadn't attended a four-day intensive with him (and 800 experts in a wide variety of fields from all over the world - what a powerhouse group!). Much of what he taught - dynamically and engagingly in every regard, I might add - is right here in this book, and for a tiny investment compared to what you could gain by following some of his advice.

I'm not a money-oriented person, although I'm all for the Universe compensating me for my efforts whenever possible, so the "millionaire" angle isn't my motivator. It's spreading my enthusiasm for the power of reading - and of building community and taking positive action toward personal and social change - to save the world. Tall order? Sure. But so's earning a million bucks in a year or less. And if anyone can help me - and you - achieve either of these goals, it'd probably be Brendon Burchard.

And he writes well too - quite informally yet packed with action-worthy information and insight - and I understand that he narrates the audio book too. He's a fast-talker, but very dynamic and earnest and energetic too, so I'd buy that too, if you're one for the 'tandem read'... (And anybody who knows me IRL knows that I could match him word for word in a speed-speaking contest!)

And now, for the sad truth... Hop up to my full review of Libba Bray's new Y.A. satire/parody, Beauty Queens.

MFB, in threes,
L
View all my reviews (at Goodreads)

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...