Saturday, August 18, 2012

Wild Nights - Wild Nights! : Poem In Your Post

Wild Nights - Wild Nights!
Were I with thee
Wild nights would be
Our luxury!

Futile - the Winds -
To a Heart in port -
Done with the Compass -
Done with the Chart!

Rowing in Eden -
Ah, the Sea!
Might I but moor - Tonight -
In Thee!



That's (supposedly) her on the left.
Nah.

The perfect poem for sultry summer evenings.

Who knew Emily Dickinson could wax so passionate? 

Me.  And now - You. 

May you pine no more but embrace these last nights of summer.

MFB,
L

p.s. Bonus: a possible new image of our Emily has recently been discovered.  Awaiting confirmation from the scholars that be.  Me?  I think I'll stick to the daguerreotype that's meant Emily to me for lo these many years.

 
Ah. Now that's better.


2 comments:

As the Crowe Flies and Reads said...

I think this is only the second poem I've seen you use that I already knew. I do like this one very much, and it always reminds me of the early scene of Wrinkle in Time where Mrs Who (or possibly Whatsit) declares that "Wild nights are my glory."

Laurie said...

Just re-read A Wrinkle In Time this summer, but failed to note the allusion. Thanks for bringing it to light - love that book! And I'm glad to see whe share at least those two poems...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...