Tuesday, June 14, 2011

"Awww...Shucks." Top Ten heart-warming moments...

For this week's Top Ten Tuesday Blog Hop from The Broke and the Bookish, we're gathering those beautiful book-moments when our hearts are so filled that we're simultaneously crying and grinning from ear to ear. 

Of course, many of the best heartwarming moments happen at the apex of a whole book's major conflict, at its climax, or as that climax is resolving.  So they're bound to be spoilers.  To help out those who might want to read these stellar books in the future, here are their titles, authors, and genres, up-front, in order.  Just hop around to the ones you've already read, yes?

Will Grayson, Will Grayson by John Green and David Levithan. (YA fiction)
The Book of the Dun Cow by Walter Wangerin. (fantasy)
Because of Winn Dixie by Kate DiCamillo. (children's)
Horton Hears A Who by Dr. Seuss. (You know it!)
To Kill A Mockingbird by Harper Lee. (fiction - a true gem of American fiction)
The Harry Potter series by J.K. Rowling (young adult fantasy)
A Midsummer Night's Dream by William Shakespeare (classic comedy - play)
Stardust by Neil Gaiman (fantasy)
Charlotte's Web by E.B. White (children's)

OK then, ready or not, prepare to be moved! (Not in rank order; they're all pretty moving...)

1. The finale of Tiny Cooper's musical in Will Grayson, Will Grayson. (Check out yesterday's review below!)

2. The moment when Mundo Cani Dog, ultimate sadsack and fearful whiner, decides to offer his own life to save his imperfect world from the evil Wyrm in The Book of The Dun Cow.

3. When Winn Dixie runs away in a massive thunderstorm, and then gets found under Gloria Dump's chair.

4. When Horton saves the Whos.

5. That moment when Atticus finally realizes just who killed Bob Ewell, and then Scout walks Boo home while Atticus watches over Jem all night.  Just so gorgeous, no matter how many times you read it.


6. All those scenes in which Dobby attempts to help his Harry Potter and then berates himself and bangs his head on the wall for messing up. (My friends say it's because I was brought up Catholic...;-)

7. When the mechanicals, the clowns, Bottom and Quince and Flute and Snout and Snug and Starveling, actually put on a hilariously crowd-pleasing performance and in the end win over their social 'betters' through earnestness, hard work, and heart.


8. When Tristran and the Star save each other in Neil Gaiman's Stardust.


9. "Some Pig" and the very last paragraph in Charlotte's Web.  If you do not cry every time you read that book, well, then you might just be (temporarily) immune to the "aww shucks" moment!



So that's nine, and since I don't read all that much romance or fantasy these days, I'm having trouble coming up with a tenth adult title here. Will you offer me your favorite "aww shucks" book in the comments so I have plenty to choose from as I pile up my TBRs for the summer?  Thanks!

MFB,
L

Now stroll on over to The Broke and the Bookish's Top Ten Tuesday hop to find new books to awww over this summer: I know I will!

7 comments:

Two Bibliomaniacs said...

Dobby was such a great character and such a great friend. Stardust almost made my list and great call on "Some Pig"!!!

Chandler Craig said...

Ok YES! I love Dobby and he's so cute. Good addition!

Jenni Elyse said...

I'm not Catholic and I love Dobby. So, I'm sure it's not just your religion. :) Wasn't *the* scene in Deathly Hallows so heart wrenching? I cried and cried.

PS--I found you through the linky list at Broke and the Bookish.

Laurie said...

TB - Glad you too admire the Dobster, and Stardust.
CC - Agreed.
JE - Yes, when I read it (out loud, no less!), I gasped and started yelling "No!! No!!!" Talk about a character who takes hold of your heart...
I think my friends are referring to my overdeveloped sense of responsibility/guilt for events way beyond my control. The Dobby is dead; long live the Dobby!
Off to check out everybody's lists...

Sidne said...

hey, the book arrived. love it. i was going to join this meme, but 10 and list the moments, thats just to much for me, maybe next week.

Anonymous said...

Both Horton Hears a Who and Charlotte's Web make me weep like a child. Some great moments, and great list!

Anne@HeadFullofBooks said...

Just love your list and I wholeheartedly agree with all your selections. I also thought of Winn Dixie but couldn't come up with just one awww moment. Plus, didn't you love the ending of Will Grayson, Will Grayson?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...