Monday, June 10, 2013

Wild by Cheryl Strayed : Book Group Books

I so hate to gush over anything that Oprah gushes over.  Which makes me so mad that I like - no: admire, respect, and feel grateful for - Cheryl Strayed's Wild.

You don't need me to give you the details; because of Oprah, you already know them by now.

All you need to know is this:
a.  You should read this book.  It's carefully and skillfully written, and it tells a story that most of us won't ever experience but can see ourselves in.
b.  You will be glad that you invested your precious time reading this book.  You get plenty of prose for your investment too, and many minutes of profitable diversion.
c.  Your book group will find much to talk about in this book.

The Verdict:  Absolutely.  A great Book Group Book.

'nuf said.

MFB,
L

p.s.  For book group enrichment, or if you are one of the few who hasn't been introduced to the basics of the book, you can find photos and more information about Wild at Strayed's website.

p.p.s. In other words, from my Goodreads review:

Impressive. If you're studying memoir, read this.

Gripping, earnest, and fast paced. And if you've ever (or never) travelled the West Coast of the US, Strayed's hike up the PCT will goad you into sampling at least a small stretch of it sometime in the near future. Summer plans just shifted, y'all.

I'm not one to come around easily to anything that gets the gushy press that this book did and that sports an impossible-to-remove Oprah sticker on the cover to boot, but I got over my skepticism by the second chapter and never turned back.

1 comment:

As the Crowe Flies and Reads said...

Haven't read this one yet, but I am more likely to read it sooner based on your review. I used to have a copy of it but lost it somehow in the endless row of books that is my home. It kills me to buy a second copy of it, which is the main reason I've not read it yet!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...