Friday, January 6, 2012

2012 Challenges. Dig 'em and join me.

Which ones?

1.  Our Pay It Sideways Challenge right here at What She Read.  You're welcome to jump on board whenever you like.  It's simple.  Each month, read one book recommended by a fellow blogger.  Then give them a quick write-up/shout-out when you review the book so others can sample their stellar stylings.  Spread the love, peoples.
     I've got 6 spots of 12 filled on my list so far.  Want to be the next featured blogger?  Lead me to a personal favorite book of yours that I haven't yet reviewed but would likely love to sample.  (Post your link in the comments:  I'll visit!)

2.  My IRL book group's Southern Hemisphere Challenge. We're reading one fiction and one non-fiction from each Southern Hemi. continent over the year, plus some additional Southern tomes.  So much fun so far!  My Tender Matador by Pedro Lemebel (Chile), My Invented Country by Isabel Allende (also Chile), The Secret River by Kate Grenville (Australia), and Carpentaria by Alexis Wright (also Australia).

3.  The Pulitzer Prize Challenge over at Booksnob.  I'm not going to push too hard on this one, as I've read most of the fiction Pulitzers of the past 30 years, but I'll read as many non-fictions and dramas and poetry collections as I can.  My bar: they must be available at my public library.

.5  I'm shooting for 52 books read this year, not counting books on CD or playaways or podcasts, and tracking them on Goodreads.com.  That's half what I accomplished last year, but now that I'm teaching English again, I spend at least 10-15 hours/week reading student work, so that seriously cuts into book time!

How are you challenging yourself this year?  I'd love to know what you've concocted for yourself... Tell me all about it.

MFB,
L

2 comments:

Laura Kozy Lanik said...

I think I am going to add a contest component to my challenge to get people to sign up. I will add your link to this post. Thanks for joining.

Anonymous said...

I think that you (and everyone) should read Jasper Fforde's The Eyre Affair. Literary allusions, puns, and kick-assery galore. I haven't written a review of it, mainly because all I'd be able to do is ramble on about how awesome it is. Would you consider reading it for the Pay it Sideways Challenge?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...